The Black Bonspiel of Wullie MacCrimmon by W.O.Mitchell @ Venables Theatre
Live Theatre – Comedy
It’s the early 1930’s. Wullie MacCrimmon is Wildrose, Alberta’s shoe-maker and he lives to curl. He and his rink are so expert that he attracts the attention of the Devil herself, who comes to Wildrose to make Wullie an offer hard to resist. The Devil (also a keen curler) promises Wullie that he’ll win the Brier – if on his death Wullie will undertake to come and curl in hell for the Devil’s team in the Celestial Brier.
Wullie makes the Faustian deal – but with the proviso that he will save his soul if he and his Wildrose rink can beat the Devil’s rink in a challenge match. And so, Wullie and his friends, with the help of the Reverend Pringle, take on the Devil’s crew of Judas Iscariot, Macbeth and Guy Fawkes in the most crucial curling match of all time, a matter of after-life and death.
This is a fine, old-fashioned, funny story, firmly set in the Canadian prairies, as you’d expect from W. O. Mitchell. You might even call it a sweeping saga.
See full details on SOAP Theatre’s website at soplayers.ca/bonspiel
Five Performances Only:
- Friday-Saturday February 3-4 at 7:30 pm
- Sunday matinee February 5 at 2:00 pm
- Friday-Saturday February 10-11 at 7:30 pm
- Adults $25 day of show; $23 in advance
- Students: $15 day of show; $13 in advance
- Further Savings on Adult tickets:
- Buy tickets to two different shows this season for only $21 each
- Buy tickets to all three shows this season for only $19 each
- Use the promo code GROUP to get 10 or more tickets to any one show for only $19 each
- Venables Theatre
- 6100 Gala Street, Oliver, , V0H 1T0
- View Website
- SOAP Theatre
- View Website