Dreaming of a road trip? Spring is a fantastic time to catch some warm, sunny weather before the summer rush. If you’re looking for a quiet escape or romantic getaway, the perfect place for a “spring fling” can be found in Osoyoos desert wine country.
Tour the vineyards in peace and take the time to relax amid the beautiful valley views. Take a leisurely stroll on our many beautiful lakeshore walkways. Hike or bike in true solitude on our widespread system of trails. Tee off at one of our picturesque golf courses. The rows on rows of orchard blossoms are truly a sight to see during the springtime.
Know Before You Go: During this time, travel within your regional health zone is encouraged. For information on BC’s new Restart Plan, including health zone boundaries, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart.
Here’s how to plan the ultimate future spring road trip to Osoyoos in British Columbia:
1. Choose your route
All roads lead to Osoyoos. Well, almost. The little desert town of Osoyoos BC is conveniently located at the junctions of two major highways: Highway 3, and Highway 97. This makes for easy cruising to and from Osoyoos. Will you traverse through the rugged landscape of the Kootenays, or wind down Okanagan wine country?
No matter which direction you choose to venture to Osoyoos, and no matter what time of year, one thing is certain: Your next road trip will be memorable and spectacular. Here are some of the best routes to take to Osoyoos for your spring road trip:
2. Book ahead
One of the best tips for your spring road trip to Osoyoos is to book your accommodations, activities, and dining experiences ahead of time where possible. Many of our wineries are now appointment only, so be sure to plan accordingly! When planning, you can also booking one of our current travel deals so you can save on your stay and experiences.
While booking your accommodations, dining, and activities ahead of time are key to having a well-organized road trip, don’t forget to leave some room in your itinerary for spontaneity!
3. Pack the essentials:
Here’s a quick list of some essentials for your spring road trip to Osoyoos:
- Sunscreen: Even in the spring, our desert climate can be hot and sunny, so sunscreen is a must if you’re
- Bathing suit: With warmer temperatures the spring is still an amazing time to enjoy one of our many sandy beaches and catch some early summer sun! With the warmest lake in Canada, swimming in Osoyoos Lake can be enjoyed as early as mid-May!
- A cooler: Not only will this be helpful to pack some on-the-go snacks or picnic lunch for your roadtrip, but we recommend bringing a cooler for any bottles of wine you want to take back home. This will ensure a proper storage temperature so your wine doesn’t get spoil when travelling.
- Your dog: Did you know that Osoyoos has tons of dog-friendly options for accommodations, activities, and wineries? That means you can have an enjoyable getaway to Osoyoos with your furry friend!
Road Trip Tip: Leave some extra space for your finds: from shopping our nifty main street, to the many wineries, you’re bound to have more than just memories to bring home after your trip!
4. Leave no trace
The natural landscape of Osoyoos and the Thompson-Okanagan includes mountains, valleys, desert, and everything in between. This is a region that truly has something for everyone. As a Biosphere committed destination, communities like Osoyoos in the Thompson Okanagan region believe in respectful and sustainable tourism for locals and visitors alike. The intent of the Leave No Trace Principles are to be used as guidelines. Everytime you go out exploring ask yourself: “Is my action impacting the land in a negative way? What can I do to minimize my impact and leave it unchanged?”. Here are some simple tips to help you leave no trace behind on your travels from Leave No Trace Canada:
- Plan Ahead and Prepare
- Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
- Dispose of Waste Properly
- Leave What You Find
- Minimize Campfire Impacts
- Respect Wildlife
- Be Considerate of Other Visitors
Whether you are visiting with your family, having a much needed girls or guys getaway, enjoying a romantic vacation or taking a solo trip, you will truly make memories that will last a lifetime on your spring road trip to Osoyoos.
If you’re looking for more ideas to explore Osoyoos, check out our weekend itinerary ideas for your future trip.
Don’t forget to share your favourite #OsoyoosBC moments and memories with us on Instagram to be featured on our social and website.
Here are some of our favourite spring photos: